November 17, 2015
The deadly Australian Paralysis Tick’s bite can be fatal even when your
pet is treated. 5% of animals die even with the best veterinary care.
That is why it is important to:
1) Be Aware of preventative measures
2) Know the signs of tick poisoning
3) Know what to do in case of a tick
Tick paralysis is one of the most common causes of pet illness in the
Upper North Shore and Northern Beaches, especially in the warmer months.
Tick habitats are growing every year. They spread as the populations of
possum and bandicoots grow. Most of our patients are not using
preventative measures that could have saved their lives.
Written by Dr HELEN BURNS BVSc (Hons)
Veterinarian Helen graduated from Sydney Uni in 1997 with First Class
Honours and worked in a practice on the Northern Beaches for 16 years.
Helen joined the Gordon Vet in North Shore  team early in 2014 and
our clients have really enjoyed getting to know her. She loves being a
vet and takes a keen interest in all of her patients.
Her gentle, friendly nature helps pets to feel relaxed when they visit
the vet. Helen lives locally and has 3 children. At least one of her
children seems destined to be a vet! When not ferrying her children
around, Helen cares for her menagerie of pets. These include Chloe the
dog, Obi and Leia the cats, Little Cocky the galah and Rosie the very
tame eclectus parrot who all happily coexist at her house. In her spare
time, Helen likes to be active outdoors, running, kayaking, camping or
playing any manner of sport with her children.