July 8, 2013
10 Tips for Travelling with Pets
It is becoming increasingly common for Australians to take their pets with them when they travel. Before you set off consider these tips to make travelling with a pet a breeze!
Although travelling with pets is enjoyable, the initial packing and preparation can be taxing for pet and owner alike. Having said that, with some good planning the experience doesn’t need to be nerve-racking.
Having travelled from Japan to Australia, and interstate with my pets, I’m pretty adept on pet travel and believe these 10 tips for travelling with pets will ensure your journey is a smooth one.
As the number of people who travel with their furry friends increases, this list is designed to make you better organised for your next journey.
- Treat against ticks and fleas before travelling
- Make a checklist of all the things your pets will require while you are away from home such as bedding food, toys, litter and tray, leash and poop bags
- Invest in a good non-spill pet bowl for your car
- Pack some Feliway pheromone spray for cats
- Pack copies of vaccination certificates (many places require these)
- Take regular toilet breaks
- Pack wet wipes for accidents in the car
- Don’t leave your pet in a hot car!
- Make sure your pets wear a collar and an ID tag (microchipping is best)
- Lastly, always remember to treat the place you are staying in with respect. The more places that remain pet friendly the better for all of us – don’t ruin it for others!
photo credit: emdot via photopin cc